The Desk of the Elderly is the Unit within the Ministry of Social Development, Housing & Community Empowerment located on Melville Street, St. George’s. It is centrally located within the town of St. George, which makes it very accessible to the Elderly.
The Desk of the Elderly was established in 2000, when the Government of Grenada recognized the need for better coordination and implementation of the services offered to the Elderly. It was established to offer services to all persons 60 years and over and their families throughout the State of Grenada.
- To provide a range of comprehensive quality services to the Elderly.
- To increase awareness of, and accessibility to, services available to the Elderly.
- To ensure that Homes for the Aged operate in accordance with the existing Standards.
- To create and implement programmes geared towards active ageing and the preservation of our National Heritage in collaboration with stakeholders.
- Investigation and Assessment of elderly abuse cases.
- Centenarian Celebration and Documentation.