PERMANENT SECRETARY (Actg.)
To be the premier agency of government mobilising resources and leading actions that will minimise the impacts of climate change at all levels of society.
To achieve a smart island state through sustained protection and management of our natural resources and environmental assets.
Grenada is a small island developing state (SIDS) faced with the following climate change impacts: sea level rise, rainfall variability, tropical storms, increasing temperatures, drought and erosion. Grenada through active participation in regional and international organizations led advocacy on climate change adaptation and mitigation for over 20 years. The "Building Back Better" Program launched after Hurricane Ivan, can be referred to as the commencement of government-wide strategies with a focus on resilience.
The creation of the Ministry in March of 2018 brought together the institutional expertise and advocacy role in terms of climate finance and adaptation/mitigation with a strong link relative to disaster risk reduction and disaster management. The building back experience after Hurricanes Ivan and Emily created opportunities for Grenada to share a unique story of resilience in the financial and social sectors while at the same time implementing public sector programs with a strong fiscal discipline framework enshrined in the Fiscal Responsibility Law. The programs of the Ministry of Climate Resilience, The Environment, Forestry, Fisheries, Disaster Management and Information were developed based on an integrated development approach ensuring that mobilization of finance will contribute to mainstreaming of climate change at all levels in all sectors.
Priority sectors for Adaptation: Water availability; Food security; Disaster Risk reduction and disease prevention; Integrated Coastal Zone Management; Resilient Infrastructure; and sustainable land management; Climate and Seal Level Rise data and projections; Sustained public education and participation; Ecosystem resilience.
- Climate (Mitigation/Adaptation) Resilience
- Environmental Protection and Management
- Optimal Natural Resources Management
- Data Management and Access
- Policy Advice
- Research-based Approach to Environmental and Natural Resources Management/ Research driven, sustainable and efficient use of Environment and Natural Resources
- Resource Mobilization and Capacity Building
- Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs) Coordination [and Implementation]
- Community Environmental Outreach
- Integrating Environment into the Fabric of Society
- Public Environmental Education and Awareness